I suggest you...

Manage PCI device assignement for VMs in one Host

GUI for manage assignement of PCI device to VMs in one Host.
Listing all PCI device in one host and choosing what device can be passthrough to VMs. Binding device to pciback or xen-pciback at boot. Prevent assignement of one device to multiple VMs.. etc...

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MelvinMelvin shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Olivier LambertAdminOlivier Lambert (CEO, Vates) commented  · 

I'll be at the Xen Hackathon next week with XAPI guys. The current documentation is not clear about how to attach PCI nor GPU to a VM. I'll ask them.

• Rich TRich T commented  · 

Any idea if this is going to happen?

The lack of decent support and documentation for how to get PCI/VGA/GPU/USB Passthrough working on XCP has been discouraging me from setting up a virtualisation server for months now.

I think that your project has come on leaps and bounds since I last checked up on it - but this functionality is desperately needed to take the headache out of VM set-up and management.

Keep up the good work!

If XO get a great community, our needs in XAPI will have a better chance to be listened. I'm sometimes in contact with main dev of XAPI, so I think we can push idea of better PCI passthrough.
        About old bindings, it will depend mainly about our ressources. We need to focus first on a working version for XAPI.

The good news is our code is very modular ( xo-server/xo-web, if you have the time, read this : https://xen-orchestra.com/first-running-prototype-is-here/#more-93 ), so it will be possible to have the same interface with another daemon working with legacy stack.

If we have more ressources (empoloyees), it will be easier to get all demands, but in our configuration, we must have priorities ;)

• Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

You mention on your FAQ page that the “original” XO was designed to work with the Xen hypervisor, without all possibilities of XAPI. Since XAPI is the most feature-rich toolstack for Xen, supporting XAPI seems to be the best choice for most users. And so I fully support your decision to support XAPI.

But so that I can more readily configure pci-passthrough (which isn't easily done with XAPI), I'm currently managing Xen using virt-manager, which relies on libvirt for interacting (by way of xm) with the underlying Xen. And to be candid, I originally found your website when searching for a web-based GUI that I could use as a replacement for virt-manager.

For those of us still wanting to stick with libvirt and/or xm based management (at least until XAPI allows for more easily configuring pci-passthrough), any chance you might add such support to (or back to) XO in the future?

Well, thanks for the report, I understand the situation now. We'll try to integrate this feature when we'll have enough maturity in XO (e.g basic working features).

• Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

Oliver, thanks much for the reply. Much appreciated!

My understanding is that XAPI has the bindings (accessible through the xe command line) for PCI passthough, but that the bindings are a little weak. And because they are a little weak, Citrix left access to them out of their XenCenter gui, so as to avoid supporting a potentially flakey feature. So if you add such access to your gui (which I hope you will), you'll probably want to label the feature as "experimental" and warn users that, due to the weak XAPI bindings, the feature can be a bit flakey and is unsupported.

I’m using vanilla Xen 4.2, and so haven’t tried myself, but my understanding is that the PCI passthrough command in xe takes the following form:
        xe vm-param-set other-config:pci=0/<pci-id#> uuid=<uuid>

Ok, I'll request more details from Xen team of what's possible to do with the XAPI about PCI pass. I don't know right now XAPI bindings are enough to do that.

Feedback and Knowledge Base