I suggest you...

Xen Orchestra XL (a version of XO that interacts directly with XL)

How about a "light" version of XO that interacts directly with the new XL toolstack, which is the default toolstack for Xen 4.2.1? Such a version wouldn't require installing the XAPI toolstack.

Yes, I realize that XAPI is the most feature-rich toolstack for Xen and, as such, is the best choice for many users. And so I fully agree with your decision to support XAPI as your primary toolstack.

But at least for me, and probably others, the "blackbox" nature of XAPI can be problematic. So I’d greatly appreciate a version of XO that offers only that functionality that is supported by the new XL toolstack. Many would probably use such a “light” version of XO as a web-based replacement for Virt-Manager GUI. Or at least that’s how I would use it.

Note: I outlined the above in another thread. I repeat it here as a new thread so that others may weigh in.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

Thanks so much for the reply. I truly wish that I had the technical knowledge to be of help with the project. But since I can't, I'll direct good thoughts in your direction and wish for your speed success!

• Olivier LambertAdminOlivier Lambert (CEO, Vates) commented  · 

Yep, it seems a great idea!

But our main concern about implementing this, is our resources. We are focused on xapi features (events, async possibilities) and we have to deal with a tight planning for September.

It will be technically possible, and frankly not that hard to create an "xl dedicated xo-server", but we need:
        - time (planning is full until September),
        or
        - someone to work on it,
        or
        - money to hire someone to do it.

We are opened to every suggestions or help to achieve this goal as soon as possible.

Just want to add some info:

As is well-known, XM has been deprecated, and XL is now the default toolstack for Xen 4.2 and later. But unfortunately, Virt-Manager isn't working with XL in many distros. For example, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1180281 So those who want to use the default XL toolstack with Xen 4.2 and later won't have a GUI available for management any time soon.

Seems to me that a GUI that could interact directly with XL to allow for at least basic management functions would quickly draw a large following. :-)

"[T]he idea is already considered ;)"

Great news! I hope that you'll have lots of success with XO so that you'll soon have access to any and all needed resources.

Oh, just to add a thought to my previous post: Of course, XAPI is the better choice for most of your target market, and so, as I wrote before, I fully agree with your decision to support XAPI as your primary toolstack. But you might be surprised how many of us are looking for a simple web-based alternative to Virt-Manager. So something like an "XO XL" may receive more attention from the Xen community than you might expect. And who knows, that extra attention may ultimately drive even more users toward your full-featured version of XO. Kind of a chicken vs egg situation, but worth considering.

• Olivier LambertAdminOlivier Lambert (CEO, Vates) commented  · 

Thanks to XO architecture, it's possible to implement XL protocol in the daemon (or in another daemon, it's also achievable). Sadly, with our current resources, it's not possible to do this right now. But the idea is already considered ;)

Feedback and Knowledge Base